I'll preface this by saying that I have never in my life felt unsafe or afraid in my day to day comings and goings any where I have lived. I don't carry a concealed handgun because of a fearful existence or paranoia.
I also do not have a "commando complex" which would make me one of the worst kind of wannabes seeing I have never served in the military or law enforcement. I actually do not have any desire to use the gun on anyone and pray I never have to pull it for any reason.
I don't place myself in dangerous situations or go places where I think danger may be present. In other words, my primary form of self defense is avoidance of potential danger, not confrontation.
That does not make me a coward, because I have inadvertently and unintentionally found myself in situations where I have had to step in to defend other people (without a firearm), and I have responded pro-actively and decisively.
So setting aside those common accusations against people who carry concealed handguns, why do I carry one?
1. Because I can. It is a right afforded to me by the U.S. Constitution and the Arkansas State constitution. It is afforded to me by a concealed carry law that law abiding citizens should never have had to fight for.
Nonetheless, it has been hard won through long and expensive legislative action to develop what we have today. It is a right and the more of us who obtain the license and carry the guns, the harder it will be for controlling politicians to reverse it in the future.
2. Because it is my duty and responsibility to take advantage of a right afforded to me by what I believe was the guiding hand of an almighty God in the framing of the Constitution of the U.S. and the Bill of Rights.
3. Because I choose to take responsibility for my and my family's safety. Police generally arrive at a crime scene after the criminals are long gone and the devastation to citizen victims is already done. It is foolish indeed to believe that that our civil governments have the ability to protect us from the sub human predators of our society.
4. Because I live in a real world in which I recognize the dangers above are present. To do otherwise is to stick our heads in the sand and ignore an ever-present danger among us.
5. Because I want to be part of what makes criminals wonder if the next person they choose to assault may be the one that ends their life. The more law abiding citizens that are armed, the less sure criminals can be of the outcome of their actions against us.
The biggest gun possible will obviously be different for different people. But what I'm talking about here as being the biggest and best for you is the largest caliber most powerful gun you can carry legally concealed.
A gun firing a bullet with as much penetration and expansion as possible gives you a better chance of finishing any life threatening encounter in your favor.
A 1911 style pistol in .45 ACP caliber is a full size pistol, but easily concealable because of it's slim profile.
The larger your carry gun, the better your grip, control, accuracy.
The Springfield XD Compact .45 is a full size .45 semi auto with a shortened grip to allow better concealability. It comes with a thirteen round magazine but also a ten round magazine to allow for a shorter grip and easier concealment.
The Ruger SP101 is a fist full of power in a compact package with a 2.25 inch barrel. The gun is a .357 magnum and will handle the hottest loads you can stand to shoot. The gun is highly concealable.
People have carried and effectively defended themselves with virtually all calibers of handguns. But the bottom line is that the bigger bullet you can shoot, with the greatest accuracy and have the most firepower, is the best gun for you. It is the gun that you will use the most effectively and will defend you best if something dire should ever go down.
Don't be embarrassed by your gun ownership or concealed carry.
Exercising your right under the U.S. and state constitutions and taking responsibility for your and your family's own safety is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't be like the weenie above. Stand up for and defend your right to keep and bear arms.
The Remington RP9 Pistol - A promising offering from the troubled firearms manufacturer.
S&W got it right with the M2.0 9mm Pistol - the newest in the Military and Police line.
Texas Church Shooting illustrates the consequences of lack of security across the nation.
Learn to Move And Shoot, not to stand and die. Optimal practice by training for real shooting situations.
Concealed carry just got simpler. Your shortcut to figuring it all out.